Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminKrzysztof Koźmic (Admin, Castle Project) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Asbjørn Ulsberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's excellent, Jonathon. I'm glad you're focusing on this! ;-) Please remember to submit all MoMa reports to Novell so they know what to focus on for future releases.

• Asbjørn Ulsberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really important for my company and the projects we work on to have full Mono support. Castle not supporting Mono means there's a lot of projects in which Castle can't be used.

A first step towards supporting Mono is to use MoMa to analyze the Castle assemblies to identify code that isn't supported in Mono and then submitting the report from such an analyzation to Mono so they can focus on improving and implementing those parts in the next release. Miguel de Icaza has said himself that they prioritize future development based on these MoMa reports, so it's definately fruitful to do this.

The second step to take is to take the MoMa report and see whether things reported for Castle.Core like ReaderWriterLockSlim.ctor(LockRecursionPolicy) (which in Mono throws NotImplementedException) can be implemented otherwise, or if submitting a patch to implement this particular constructor in Mono is a viable option.

Either way, I really hope you can focus on this for future releases, because not being able to use Castle on Mono (and thus Linux) is really inhibiting me at the moment.

• firegrass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also .net cli castle libraries work just fine with mono, any 'hacks' for mono can be reported and fixing with mono upstream. I've seen some Castle.*.Test.dll use win32 specific assemblies, hopefully these will be the only things actually requiring #if directives and will only be required on the build agent, not for downstream packages.

• firegrass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide Mono Binaries (?) - Probably not needed, we can package is for the various distros and install into the gac. I will take care of debian/ubuntu packages

And I'm setting up the teamcity build agent now! :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base